Popular Kitchen Designs With Island
What do people generally want from their kitchen? They want it to be beautiful, functional, and have great storage. Unfortunately, a lot of kitchens are not built like that. The solution to that problem is to consider kitchen designs with islands. There are numerous types of kitchen islands, from those with seating to mobile islands. Some have built-in sinks. Others have the stove built-in with an attractive range hood above it. The possibilities are endless, but one thing is sure – having an island in the kitchen is a great design idea.
Benefits Of Kitchen Island
There are numerous benefits to having a kitchen island. Some of the main ones are highlighted below:
- More storage becomes available with the addition of an island. If you have a kitchen that does not have enough room, installing an island may be the solution. You will have more cabinets, shelves, and drawers.
- It is excellent if you have children in the home. If they want to help make dinner or want to have a snack, it is a perfect addition to the kitchen as they can sit at the island while working in the kitchen.
- It provides extra seating: it is a quick stop for a snack and can also be used as additional seating when guests are in the home. You also have better access to other people from the kitchen, especially when seated at the island.
- It doesn’t matter if your kitchen is small – you could consider a mobile island. A movable island provides extra counter space when it is required and when floor space is required, the island is can be rolled away. If you need some help preparing a meal, then a mobile island comes in handy as it can quickly be moved into place. It is the perfect choice for the person with a smaller kitchen as it also provides some valuable extra storage.
- It makes the kitchen more functional as the island can even be used as the main cooking area if you prefer to add a cooktop and oven to your island.
Kitchen Island Cabinets and Countertops
The types of materials that can be used for your island are endless. Whether or not the island has a more decorative function or is a functional piece. Generally, the island will be made of the same materials as the other kitchen cabinets and countertops. However, sometimes the island can be a different color for contrast. Or, you could even choose a different color or material for the countertop. It just depends on the style or looks you are trying to create.
For the person on a budget, there are more economically priced options made from human-made materials like plastic laminate. If the budget can go further, the possibilities include stained concrete and higher grade solid surfaces. The persons with a lot to spend can opt for custom wood, granite, and butcher block, to name a few.
How about a Kitchen Island With Sink built-in?
You spend a lot of time in the kitchen using the sink, so a kitchen island with sink built into the countertop might appeal. If you stop to think about it, a lot of time is spent at the kitchen sink daily.
Kitchen Island Lighting Ideas
More often than not, the kitchen island has some lighting above it to make it easier to see when preparing food, washing dishes, etc. With the increase in popularity of islands in kitchen designs, the variety of lighting fixtures has also increased. The most frequently used options include a whole range of spotlighting and pendant lighting. Another popular option is to have the pot racks that come with built-in flash. Other options include fluorescent, recessed, and flush-mounted lights. The prices vary as well as the selections of designs and finishes.
It is pretty easy to find light fixtures to go with the island in the kitchen from traditional to casual to retro and contemporary, to name a few. They can also be found in varying sizes to suit the buyer’s needs. As mentioned beforehand, the finishes are numerous. They can be platinum, copper, brushed nickel, or colored (black, blue, etc.).
The person looking for uber functional lighting will find the pot rack with lighting a must. It provides not only adequate lighting but also facilities for the storage of pans, pots, and other utensils.
A kitchen island can add value to an older home because it gives it a more modern look. An island also performs multiple functions; seating, storage, and extra countertop space in one. You really should consider kitchen designs with islands if you want an attractive and functional kitchen.